Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 21 - 28: Checking In

Good evening everyone.  I know I've been getting messages from people asking what's going on.  I kind of cut off abruptly in the middle of the attempted juice fast last weekend.  Well to start off with, I'm fine.  It was a bit of an emotional setback to find out that the juicing thing just wasn't going to work for me.  No matter how hard I tried the green juices just were not happening for me.  My body had involuntary and violent reactions to them in very unpleasant ways.  I just couldn't see putting myself through that much suffering to try and get healthy.  If doing the juicing made me miserable then I would never be able to keep it going and make it work.  I would have failed at it and probably ended up totally ruining all my work with a severe bout of emotional eating.  So instead I kept control of what's going on and made the decision to come up with a Plan B.

Plan B is pretty simple.  Move more, try to get in some exercise at least 3 -4 times per week to start. Cut out or at least cut down on soda and dairy.  Drink more water.  Cut out junk food and sweets.  Eliminate sugar as much as possible.  And of course eat healthier foods in smaller portions.  The problem of course is that this is what I've always failed at in the past.  I'll do good for a while, maybe even a few months, and then just as I'm seeing progress I'll fall off the wagon.  I'll tell myself I'm doing so good that I can indulge in something as a treat for doing a good job.  Next thing I know, what started as a one-time treat has turned into being back to my old ways.

I feel optimistic this time though.  After talking with friends I feel like I'm more mentally and emotionally in control of what I'm doing in my life now.  I've reached a point where I know some decisions have to be made, and some changes have to take place, if I want to live to see 40.  And it helps that this time around I have my girlfriend on board, so I can eliminate all the crappy food from the house completely and not have to be tempted at home.  I know I'll face temptation out in the world, but I need to make my home a safe-zone of sorts where I can not worry about something bad for me calling my name.

And so far we're doing pretty good.  We're both taking less for lunch to work every day, and eating smaller portions for dinner.  I had moved over to low-fat yogurt for breakfast, some of the only dairy I eat anymore, and my girlfriend switched from some really unhealthy (although very yummy) breakfast options to taking Greek Yogurt.  I keep meaning to try that kind but haven't gotten around to it yet.  On Friday my team at work received a present from someone.  They sent a big box of gourmet fudge, chocolate fudge with chocolate chips on top.  My desk is right next to the filing cabinets for our team, and because they are central to the area where we all sit any treats are always put there.  I keep telling people I'm trying to be good and cut out that stuff, but they keep sitting it down next to me.  However I made it through the whole day on Friday without having any of it.

Today I went to the store to pick up stuff for tomorrow.  We're hosting the family Easter Dinner.  When I walked in it was like the the whole bakery department walked up to me and punched me in the face to get my attention.  I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if I'd started drooling it all smelled so good.  But I picked up just went I went there to get and nothing more.  Not a single baked good beyond rolls for dinner left with me, and no candy beyond the little bit for the kids' Easter eggs.  And we didn't eat any of it while filling the eggs.

And the biggest temptation we faced this week was Friday night.  We went to See's Candy, one of the most heavenly and evil places on this earth, and picked up chocolate-filled Easter baskets for the nieces.  The girls will love them.  And not only did we not avail ourselves of the free samples being offered by the black-and-white clad chocolate temptresses behind the counter, but we left without buying anything at all for ourselves.  I was very proud of myself.

So that's where I am right now.  I want to find some way to track the distance and steps I walk when I do my walking at night.  I need to get a decent pedometer I think.  There are Android apps that do it, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.  Maybe I'll try one out before spending money I might not have to spend.  I also need to invest in some decent Tupperware-like containers that I can freeze meals in so I can start doing the whole cooking ahead of time thing.  Because I know that's the only way I'll be able to have the time at night to get a walk in and still get to bed at a decent time.  Between commuting and work we're out of the house for about 13.5 - 14 hrs per day depending on traffic.  It doesn't leave much time for doing anything healthy at night,  but I'm determined to find a way to make it work.

I also need to gather together some good healthy recipes to try.  The major obstacle there is that considering the severe issues I had with trying to drink vegetables in juice form I don't really know how I'm going to be able to eat them.  But I'm open to suggestions if anyone has some ideas.  Maybe post them here in the comments on my blog so others can see as well.

3 comments:

  1. As I think of good things, I will send them along. Some of the things to look into that are working for us are:
    1. High fiber/carb breakfast. I eat oatmeal with raisins and walnuts with low-fat yogurt. Greek is good, but very fatty.
    2. Pay more for bread and get the good stuff. Lunch-meat on whole grain bread with a laughing cow cheese wedge is a great lunch.
    3. NO LIQUID CALORIES! No soda or juice (I even cut out milk and went to soy). Even avoid calories from coffee creamer.
    4. A challenge for you... try to cut yourself down to 1 serving of red meat a week. I have some good vegetarian recipes we use and even some good tofu recipes (you can make it taste good, believe it or not...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ken sorry i missed you Sunday :(
    I have tried the juicier and it is working for me 2 times a day and some time put protean powder. I keeps me fill. You can still juice other things that you don't eat very much I still have a hard time just thinking about fruits and veggies. I am a meat and potatoes I never eat any fruits or veggies so i have to make it work and you must like it some of the juicer what. I did 1 apple 1 orange a cup of spinach stems off and roll it to put it in. 3 ice cubes and a little water you cant taste the green taste I will also add 1 scoop of protean powder.
    Also what help me was to cunt back on my portions and no seconds.
    I will still eat something i love once in a while big trick DON'T BRING IT IN THE HOUSE!!!!!

    WHEN YOU ARE READY LET ME KNOW AND i CAN GO OVER SOME LITTLE EXERCISE. [SUMMER WE CAN WORK IN MY POOL OR ANY i KNOW A LOT OF MOVE AND THE WATER IS THE BEST PLEASE FOR ME.
    well off to bed take care I pray daily for you and I to Make it this time
    Love, Annie God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was cut back not the word the computer put in lol sorry oh and the caps lock I am a little new to the key broad
    your plan sounds great for a month I wrote everything that went in my mouth then you really see how much you eat and your bad times.that great about the walking I used the app and its not bad but something to start with
    Awesome job at work this can be the worst place roya comes home everyday say they had more food and candy. when she gets home she tells me how good she was. she had a 2 hour drive to work and back she was so hunger so I had her take a snack bag of good nuts & fruits but watch the sugar I will have to look one up for you.
    you thinking the right that's one of the hard parts and if you feel your self slipping reach out to a friend, pastor asst. pastor she knows a lot just someone your are not alone
    love, Annie
    God Bless
    Annie

    ReplyDelete